Monday, September 18, 2006

 

G'Day Spring...

How is it possible that I haven't written in a month? I wish I could tell you that my life is ever-so-exciting that I just haven't had time...far from it. I do have a laptop now, so I can start to write at home again. My laptop I brought from The States doesn't seem to like Australia too much, so I've had to write when at work, on the weekends, etc. Well, no excuses, but there you have it.

Spring has arrived in Sydney with much fanfare...the weather is amazing. After a week of non-stop rain, the sun has come out and is seemingly here to stay. You know the saying April Showers Bring May Flowers, well just imagine the same for September & October. It is no longer dark when I walk to work and dark when I walk home...I now see the sun in the morning and can see the sun setting in the horizion when I leave the offices....yes, Spring is finally here. I can't wait for the time to change (Spring Forward) so that I'll have even more sunlight.

I got up at 6:00 yesterday (one of the perils of getting up every morning at 5:00 is that you/I can't sleep in on the weekends) and felt guilty because the streets were closed off for the Sydney Marathon...I felt like I should have run it, but I just haven't trained enough, so I grabbed the Sunday newspapers from the newsagent, got my coffee & headed to the beach...that's when I realized "this is why I came to Australia..." it was so peaceful to have the beach to myself, a few surfers and swimmers (myself among them...the water was cold, but perfect for a morning swim). Later that afternoon, my friend Matt and I took a ferry over to Taronga Zoo, not to go to the zoo, but just to take a nice ferry ride across the harbour to enjoy the day...again, why I came to Australia.

Speaking of water, swimming, etc. I went to the beach two weeks ago and almost had a "Wendell Story..." I was swimming across the bay at Coogee Beach and a Wobbegong Shark swam directly underneath me. It didn't look anything like this,
more like this....














but like everyone else in the world who saw Jaws back in the 70's, there is still a part of me that thinks at any moment I could be eaten alive by a Great White. Anyway, Wobbegong's are harmless, but needless to say, I made my way inland pretty quick...I swam at record pace that day...if only I could swim that fast under normal conditions.



And now here are some of the latest pictures of Cooper...how cute is he? I cannot wait to head back to The States in December so that I can see & hold him in person. My friends Justin & Simone just had a baby here in Sydney last weekend...Luella Kaley Chisholm. I took the train out to Liverpool to see them and the baby; if I can't see my own nephew then at least I can vicariously hold him through Luella.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?