Monday, August 14, 2006

 

City 2 Surf 2006


A sea of red baseball caps made its way through the streets of Sydney yesterday, and I was in the middle of it all. The City 2 Surf 14K race was a good one, but I must admit, I was not impressed with the Aussie spectator turnout.













The scenery was great, rolling through some of the Sydney suburbs, culminating in a spectacular view of Bondi Beach as you get to the 10K mark...and even more exciting is that the rest of the race was downhill. Going back to the spectators, I guess I'm a bit spoiled, having run in some great races, the last one in the States being the NYC Marathon where the support from the crowd was incredible, through all five of New York's boroughs...but then again, you expect New Yorker's to be loud, huh? Then there's the Peachtree Road Race where every year you could look forward to hearing the "Chariots of Fire" or "Rocky" theme songs at Heartbreak Hill, or the thousands of people in Central Park for the NYC Triathlon that push you along that last 10K run. Here, the crowd was sparse and quiet. Sydney's a very athletic city, so maybe people just considered it just another day. Oh well, it was an unbelievably beautiful day, I finished in 63 minutes (not bad considering I haven't been training) and I have no reason to complain.

Now I'm back in the office on a Monday morning, and it's back to reality once again...it was nice to escape to Bondi in the middle of winter for the day....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?