Friday, April 21, 2006

 

My Cambodia





I'm going to try and upload a few pictures...we'll see what happens. In the mean time, Cambodia is/was amazing. The temples combined with the people made for an incredible and unforgetable experience. As always, I try to get off of the beaten path so to speak, so I rode my bicycle an hour outside of Siem Reap and found myself in some of the most poverty-stricken areas I've ever experienced, but you didn't see it in the faces of the people. As I was riding along the river, it was around 4:45 PM, and apparently it was time to bathe; people went to the water pumps down the street to pump water for their family. The children played as if they had not a care in the world, and basically didn't, as their basic needs were being met; food, water, shelter (but not much clothing) and a loving family, and they all took time to wave to me and say "Hello" as I passed by. I had to ask myself, with all of our material posessions, living in the richest country(s) in the world, are we any happier? A rhetorical question of course (don't get me wrong, after experiencing food poisoning last night/today, I'm very happy with running water...I should have known better than to order a dish called "Amok," a curry dish that did exactly that to my stomach), but food for thought....I digress.


Pictured above is me at the Ta Prohm temples, my three favorite monks (in training) at Angkor Wat and a night market selling flower offerings for Buddah; I went to one of the local temples last night and was blessed by the monks (little good that did me at 1:30 AM when "Amok" attacked...) Sorry I can't post more...takes entirely too long!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?