Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

"What a Cruel, Cruel Way to Go..."


Those were the words from the SBS commentator at 3:00 AM this morning as the Socceroos' dreams of moving forward in the World Cup were dashed by a controversial penalty given to Italy in the final seconds of the game. Australian and Italian football fans will argue about it for years, but all I can say is Sydney right now is in a state of mourning. I watched in disbelief as the referee awarded the penalty shot...the first of the night and in the 94th minute. As stupid as this sounds, I actually felt like crying....yes, I get a little too wrapped up in games and probably lost a few years off of my life, but that's just me, and by the looks on the faces this morning, a lot of other folks here too.

Earlier in the evening, I went for a walk through the park and the city was electric, a sea of green and gold and no one was going to bed anytime soon. This city, this country, collectively, in the span of two weeks, found it's identity, new national heros and shared them with the world...OK, yes, I know, I'm using a bit of hyperbole, but hey, I only got a couple of hours of sleep.

Anyway, the team made Australia proud and when they return to this country and to Sydney, there will be a ticker-tape parade waiting for them, and I'll be there!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?