Friday, June 16, 2006

 

"Little Miss Sunshine"

I went to see a little, independent film at the Sydney Film Festival yesterday and am not only recommending it, but am telling you that you must see it. "Little Miss Sunshine" is such a welcome breath of fresh air from all of the Hollywood, cookie-cutter Blockbusters out there, made entirely for global release and global money (recent formula = superheroes, teenage girls trials & tribulations or fast cars). According to the Sundance Film Festival, Little Miss Sunshine "is either a portrait of the most dysfunctional family you've ever seen or the absolutely hilarious tragicomic journey of a family whose lives are in for a change..." I couldn't agree more.

I don't know if I should feel ashamed by relating to this family dynamic, or proud, but either way, this dark comedy makes you laugh out loud, and is so wonderfully poignant, you can't help but discuss it when you leave. I saw the film with my friend Paul and we left the theater in the best of moods, went to grab a cup of coffee and could not stop discussing the film's merits; from the incredible performances by each of the five main characters (huge kudos go to the little girl, Abigail Breslin), to the anti-Hollywood antics found throughout the film, to the underlying messages about today's families and society as a whole.

I know, enough already, right. Anyway, if & when the movie makes it your way (I'm sure it's been in New York for some time), go see it!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?